[Inpycon] Opinions needed : Sponsorship requrements

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Wed Aug 12 03:18:18 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 11 Aug 2009 10:44:51 pm Noufal Ibrahim wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>    We had some inputs from a potential sponsor who wants a list of the
> registration details of all the delegates. We don't officially have a
> privacy policy on the website but (atleast my) general idea is that
> these details are private.

the only detail here that is private is the email address of the delegates.
The remaining details are on the site. We have a bulk mail feature in the site
(only accessible to admins) to mail all the delegates. We just need to ask the
delegates whether their email address may be disclosed to the company or not.
Most would agree. We disclose the addresses of those who agree - we anyway do
not have a right to disclose those addresses that are intended to be private
but since they have given the addresses without clarifying this point they
cannot sue us. We are also the judge as to whether the company is likely to
spam. Let us leave out all the high falutin BS about ethics and privacy and be
practical. If this is decided we can make a post on the website asking those
who want to keep their email private to tick the appropriate box in their
profile. And we need to add a box to the profile. Since no one reads posts on
websites, we also need to decide whether the default of that box should be
private or public. I suggest the default be 'public'.
--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves