[Import-SIG] PEP 489: Redesigning extension module loading

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 14:55:28 CET 2015

On 21 March 2015 at 22:30, Petr Viktorin <encukou at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/21/2015 12:37 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> Earlier runpy based implementations of -m broke that by running the
>> code in a separate namespace rather than in the actual builtin
>> __main__ module, while later implementations fixed it by using the
>> real __main__ to run the code.
>

> I see. Thanks for the write-up.
> It seems that if runpy knew the ModuleDef for __main__ (and the ModuleDef
> didn't define a custom Create slot), it could look at m_size and allocate
> md_state appropriately. Then the module object itself wouldn't change, but
> the C storage would be available when Exec is called.

Ah, true, I hadn't thought about that - I'd only thought about this in
the context of the earlier completely custom module creation design.
Restricting things to PEP 3121 module state helps a great deal.

> Does anything that would prevent this come to mind?

It would likely require an additional low level API helper somewhere,
as the only way I can see it working without completely breaking the
importlib abstraction is for runpy to call create_module on the
loader, get the custom module back, and then have a way to say "make
__main__ look like this", which will either succeed (in which case
runpy proceeds to calling exec_module on the real __main__ instead of
the module returned from create_module), or it fails (in which case
runpy bails out explaining that the requested module can't be run as
the main module)

runpy still needs to be updated for PEP 451 in general though :(

Cheers,
Nick.