[Import-SIG] My objections to implicit package directories

Calvin Spealman ironfroggy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 02:50:39 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 4:26 AM, Calvin Spealman <ironfroggy at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well, too bad. It's too much of a wart. Such try/except clauses make
>>> me sad anyway -- and we're trying to get rid of them by e.g.
>>> encouraging the pattern where heapq.py tries to import _heapq rather
>>> than having user code try first _heapq and then heapq. (And the idiom
>>> used in heapq.py doesn't mind if _heapq exists as an empty package.)
>>
>> While I agree it is a wart, the heapq.py example might not be the best. A
>> more real-world example might be the situation is PEP 417, where we'll be
>> seeing people write
>>
>> try:
>>     import unittest.mock
>> except ImportError:
>>     import mock
>>
>> And owning neither the two modules, the _ trick is not available.
>>
>> I like the idea that if a package is only an implied namespace package, with
>> no contents of it's own, it cannot itself be directly imported. This still
>> allows the simple check, but without seriously modifying the new feature
>> itself.
>
> How would you implement that anyway? The import logic always tries to
> import the parent module before importing the child module. So the
> import attempt for "foo" has no idea whether it is imported as *part*
> of "import foo.bar", or as plain "import foo", or perhaps as part of
> "from foo import bar".
>
> It would also be odd to find that
>
>  import foo
>  import foo.bar
>
> would fail, whereas
>
>  import foo.bar
>  import foo

I would prefer neither `import foo` succeed, in fact, if foo is only
an implied namespace package. The import machinery could treat it the
same, up to the point that it would bind the name, where it would
check if it was such an implied package and raise an appropriate
exception. Maybe some ImportError subclass? So, this would not be in
an error in the loading portion of the import, but in adding it to the
namespace where the import statement was executed.

> would succeed, because as a side effect of "import foo.bar", a module
> object for foo is created and inserted as sys.modules['foo'].
>
> I really don't want to have to maintain and explain such complexity --
> nor the complexity that follows from attempts to "fix" this objection.
>
> Finally, in your example, why on earth would unittest/mock/ exist as
> an empty directory???

It was only meant as an example where the try/except for import
fallbacks is natural and wise. It seemed your previous statements were
calling all such things a wart.

http://techblog.ironfroggy.com/
Follow me if you're into that sort of thing: http://www.twitter.com/ironfroggy