[Image-SIG] Adding Python 3 support

Brian Crowell brian at fluggo.com
Tue Oct 9 22:02:25 CEST 2012

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Mark Sienkiewicz <sienkiew at stsci.edu> wrote:
> So, how do you get people to know about and use your package?

Well, that's why I asked the Debian package maintainer first. He
pointed me here. He wasn't exactly clear, but he seemed interested in
Pillow as the source of a Python 3 port specifically because it's
under active development. He didn't sound interested in a replacement
for PIL under Python 2. If we can make it attractive to Debian as the
official Python 3 version of PIL, I think that's a big step forward.

>From what I'm hearing, it seems to me the sensible plan is to combine
the previous Python 3 ports (counting Hajime's, that's three I've
found) on top of current Pillow, and drop support for Python 2.5 and
older. I'll get started.

--Brian