[Image-SIG] Getting .png support on Ubuntu 12 using a virtualenv python installation

Doug Snyder webcoach101 at gmail.com
Sun May 13 04:35:00 CEST 2012

Hi I'm attempting to get .png support for PIL and have read the README and
some instructions on how to install PIL
here<http://ygamretuta.me/2011/05/27/install-pil-in-ubuntu-natty-python27-virtualen/>
The directions show how change the JPG_ROOT and ZLIB_ROOT to point to the
installations of these libs
I'm running the python setup.py build_ext -i command with my virtualenv
activated
When I run selftest.py I get the jpeg support working but not zlib/png
 support:

--- PIL CORE support ok
*** TKINTER support not installed
--- JPEG support ok
*** ZLIB (PNG/ZIP) support not installed
*** FREETYPE2 support not installed
*** LITTLECMS support not installed

I've checked my system through the package manager and zlib1g and
zlib1g-dev are installed

they are instaled at: "usr/include/":

/usr/include/zconf.h

/usr/include/zlib.h

/usr/include/zlibdefs.h

so I have used "/usr/include" as the ZLIB_ROOT

but when I clean setup.py and run

$ sudo python setup.py build_ext -i

again it still fails for png support

It seems to me like pointing the setup.py script to these files should work

but I'm not sure this exactly how it does work

Does anybody know what I might be doing wrong?

thanx

Doug