[Image-SIG] How do you install PIL?

Russell E. Owen rowen at uw.edu
Mon Mar 5 20:52:06 CET 2012

In article <5B130E73-2B05-4BBE-8BC0-FD72CCE61399 at mac.com>,
 Barry Barnett <b.family at mac.com> wrote:

> Hi. I'm trying to install pyTivo on my Mac and it says it needs the PIL for
> publish photos on my TIvo. Which version do I download and how do I install
> it? I'm running a Macbook Pro with Intel core i7 processor. Thanks.

There is a binary installer fpr PIL available here:
<http://www.astro.washington.edu/users/rowen/python/>
but it is only compatible with python.org's 32-bit Python 2.7 (the one
that is backward compatible back to Mac OS X 10.3, not the one that is
10.6-or-later).

Other options:
- Build it from source (not a lot of fun, but quite doable)
- Use python from some other source, such as fink, MacPorts or
Enthought. I suspect most or all of those have a PIL available, but
check first!

-- Russell