[Image-SIG] Image show

Dakota Szabo dakotajszabo at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 02:32:02 CEST 2012

Good evening,

I'm running Python 2.7 using PIL on Ubuntu 12.04; I'm trying to use
Image.show() to display an image.  The temp image file is saved to /tmp and
XV (which calls the Gnome default image viewer) is launched to view the
image, but the Gnome default image viewer can't identify the type of image
correctly.  Appending ".ppm" to the end of the temp file name seems to
correct the issue; I've created a patch to correct what seems like a PIL
issue, but I'm not sure if PIL is really at fault here or if there might be
something wrong with my environment.

Source code that exhibits the issue:
http://pastebin.com/8278wS9t

Patch file that seems to correct the issue:
http://pastebin.com/UfmHjemU

Thanks for any assistance!

Dakota Szabo