[Image-SIG] Problem installing PIL

David Craig dcdavemail at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 14:41:00 CET 2012

Hi, I recently installed basemap and python imaging library on my laptop. I
have an i686 machine with fedora 16 on it. I just tried some test plots and
basemap seems to work fine but according to the documentation to use the
bluemarble(), etopo(), shadedrelief() and warpimage() instance methods I
need PIL. SO I installed it via yum,

$ sudo yum install python-imaging.i686

however only the bluemarble method works. If I try any of the others I get
the following error.

AttributeError                            Traceback (most recent call last)
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/IPython/utils/py3compat.pyc in
execfile(fname, *where)
    173             else:
    174                 filename = fname
--> 175             __builtin__.execfile(filename, *where)

/home/davcra/Desktop/python_scripts/blue_marble.py in <module>()
     10
     11
---> 12 m.shadedrelief()
     13 plt.show()

AttributeError: 'Basemap' object has no attribute 'shadedrelief'

Anyone know what I did wrong????
Thanks
David