[Image-SIG] Current libraries for image processing?

jcupitt at gmail.com jcupitt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 11:05:38 CET 2012

Other libraries have Python bindings, for example my library, vips:

http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=Speed_and_Memory_Use

vips aims to be fast and to be able to handle large images, so it may
not fit your needs very well. In scope it's somewhere between PIL and
NumPy.

The Ruby binding is currently well-maintained and the Python binding a
little unloved. The next version should have a new binding system
which will bring them all up to par, hopefully.