[Image-SIG] PIL 1.1.7 PNG bug?

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Thu Sep 22 15:35:24 CEST 2011

On 9/22/11 8:45 AM, Charlie Clark wrote:
> Am 22.09.2011, 14:20 Uhr, schrieb Alex Clark <aclark at aclark.net>:
>
>> Right, in other words if I understand you correctly any internal
>> patches should only be applied if they directly correspond to previous
>> or upcoming changes in PIL itself. Even then, the preferred approach
>> would be to bulk-import the next PIL release into Pillow (and replace
>> the 1.1.7 release code).
>
> Personally, I would like to see *no* internal changes in Pillow. It
> should just be the pip/easy_install compatible form of PIL, hopefully
> folded back in when distutils2 rules the waves.

Roger that.

>> So, this issue should be filed against PIL where we can track it
>> appropriately (whether that means we wait for a new PIL release then
>> re-package it, or cherry pick and include specific things we know will
>> be in the next PIL release would depend on the circumstances.)
>
> The bug preferably with tests and patch should be passed upstream and if
> necessary another release of PIL cut. That would fit my definition of
> playing nicely with Fredrik's hard work.

I have no problem with, and I am interested in passing bugs upstream.
And indeed Pillow aims to be the "friendly" PIL fork :-). My concern (in
this case) lies with the release cycle. If I can get a fix into Pillow
and release it to PyPI within 24 hours, then I am strongly tempted to do so.

However, I certainly don't want to be irresponsible or disrespectful. So
if I did do this, I'd probably try to have a "good" explanation
(something along the lines of "this is going into PIL 1.1.8 anyway").

Another issue I just remembered: one of the things I'm tempted to do
with Pillow is research Python 3 compatibility. I suspect with the
"freedom" of the fork we might be able to produce some beta Pillow
releases that work on Python 3 (after doing all the hard work, of
course). This development would also be available to go upstream into
PIL as needed or desired.

> BTW. Could you update the docs of Pillow to point to MacPorts or Brew as
> well as Fink for managing the required libraries?

I have a ticket for this but haven't had a chance to work on it yet:

- https://github.com/collective/Pillow/issues/1

If anyone on this list has any direct and/or current experience with
MacPorts or Fink please feel free to send a pull request. I have used
all three and I currently use Brew, but I'm not sure what the
instructions for Brew would look like because I never use it to install
Pillow.

And it would be nice
> if we could get Pillow to hook up to the Windows binaries if possible.

The latest Pillow has a Windows binaries volunteer, if that helps. You
can download various win32 binaries for py2.4-py2.7 here:

- http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Pillow/1.7.5

Alex

--
Alex Clark · http://aclark.net