[Image-SIG] Important bug on some 64bits distributions

Maxime Haineault haineault at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 14:58:48 CET 2011

Hello,

I've been dealing with an annoying bug in PIL for almost a year, so I
decided to report it since it seem
pretty easy to fix and I can't understand why it hasn't been addressed yet.

First a little background on how it occurs. My system is running 64bit
Ubuntu Desktop and the bug occurred
on 10.10, 11.04 and 11.11. I use PIL in my Django projects and I use pip &
virtualenv to install my python packages.

On a new system installation I invariably get the same result. PIL gets
compiled normally, but the package using it
all breaks. A little digging shows that at compile time PIL states that
Jpeg support is not available even if it is installed
on the system.

After a lot of trial and errors and searching in forums I found a
workaround that works every time:

$: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfreetype.so /usr/lib/
$: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so /usr/lib/
$: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjpeg.so /usr/lib/

I guess I don't have much explaining to do on what's going wrong at compile
time or why this problem doesn't occur on
32bits systems.

Regards,

--

  Maxime Haineault