[Image-SIG] Bug - library_dirs

Titus Fortner titus.fortner at tippr.com
Thu Jul 7 22:06:41 CEST 2011

Hello,

I installed PIL on 32bit Ubuntu (Natty Narwhal). My libjpeg was installed in
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/, which is not one of the paths in the setup.py
library_dirs.

Right now, we try to hardcode the paths used by target operating systems. If
instead we could look through the ldconfig path when on Linux (say, by
parsing the output of ldconfig -p) or accept an environment variable
overriding the directories to use, this would be much more convenient.

Do either of these approaches sound reasonable?

Thank you,
Titus