[Image-SIG] libjpeg-turbo?

Matt Henson mhenson at livemosaic.com
Thu Jan 13 17:04:35 CET 2011

I'm using PIL in livemosaic.com, a medium volume web application based on
Turbogears 1.1. We use PIL to process customer's images (scaling to multiple
sizes as well as basic image manipulation). We're running FC8 Linux boxes on
Amazon's EC2 cloud. I'd like to improve JPEG encoding performance. It looks
like PIL (at least on our FC8 servers) is using an older version of libjpeg.
I understand that libjpeg-turbo is much faster.

Does PIL work with libjpeg-turbo? If so then how would I go about the
upgrade? Is it as simple as upgrading a library in my servers, or do I need
to re-compile PIL or something else? I know that FC14 was just released with
libjpeg-turbo. If I upgrade to FC14, will PIL automatically start using
libjpeg-turbo?

If libjpeg-turbo isn't supported now, is it on the roadmap?

Altermatively, is there a simple way to use some other tool for JPEG encode
and decode (while still using PIL and the other great Python libs for
manipulation)?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Matt Henson
Founder, LiveMosaic