[Image-SIG] Writing custom metadata on images

Saurabh Gupta saurabhgupta2u at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 09:22:44 CET 2011

Hi!

I'm looking to write custom metadata on to images(mostly jpegs, but could
be others too). So far I haven't been able to do that through PIL.
I understand that I can update some pre-defined tags, but I need to create
custom fields/tags! Can that be done?

This data would be created by users, so I wouldn't know what those tags are
before hand. I need to allow them to create tags & then write data for
them. For example, someone may want to create these tags on a particular
image :

skin_type : smooth
complexion : fair
eye_color: blue
terrain: mountains

I also found that upon saving a jpeg through the PIL JpegImagePlugin, all
previous metadata is overwritten with new data that you don't get to edit?
Is that a bug?

Cheers,
Impossible.....is the creation of the mind.