[Image-SIG] Help with PIL on 64 bit Windows 7 and Maya

Christoph Gohlke cgohlke at uci.edu
Thu Aug 18 03:03:17 CEST 2011

Dear Andrew,

apparently the new version of Maya includes a custom version of Python,
which is built with the Visual Studio 2010 compiler (version 16) and the
MSVCR10 C runtime library. The standard CPython 2.6 distribution, and
almost all existing extension package binaries, use the Visual Studio
2008 compiler and the MSVCR90 C runtime library.

The correct solution would be to build PIL with the Visual Studio 2010
compiler and link against the custom python26.lib from Maya.

As a workaround you could try to provide an external msvcr90 manifest
file for the existing PIL pyd extensions. This might not work correctly
because the use of different C runtime libraries in one process can
cause crashes or memory corruptions.

Christoph