[Image-SIG] DPX decoder support

Mike Yurick mike.yurick at primefocusworld.com
Tue Oct 26 16:34:45 CEST 2010

Hi there,

I'd like to write a DPX decoder for the PIL library.  I'm looking at the
"Writing Your Own File Decoder" section, and I've written an image
plugin which happily reads in all the necessary header data in the _open
function.  The DPXs I'm currently working with have 10bit unsigned RGB
channels (although the DPX spec allows for a lot of flexibility).  I'm
looking at the 'bit' decoder provided, but it' doesn't appear to have
the flexibility to specify that each 32bit element of the DPX data would
be read as 3 unsigned 10bit RGB channels.  The docs indicate a parameter
for the number of bits per pixel, and padding per line, but I'm not
seeing how this would allow for the spec mentioned above.  This of
course doesn't account for the log to lin conversion typicaly applied,
either.  Also, looking at decode.c, the BIT decoder appears to only
support "F" image mode.  Are there additional python functions in this
framework that I can implement in order to support such flexibility in
reading the 10 bits per channel data?  Or am I going to have to
implement appropriate c code?

Thanks,

-mike

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5564 (20101026) __________