[Image-SIG] Read SVG files - extracting the path

Sebastian Koblinger werwilldaswissen at chello.at
Fri Oct 8 18:59:52 CEST 2010

Hi everybody!

I'm new to Python as well as to this mailing list and this is my question:

Is it possible to read a path provided by an SVG file, and based on that path, make a selection of an image?
(Further I'd like to invert the selection and fill it with black.)

Is that doable with PIL?

AFAIK ImagePath can create a path object, but is there a function, a module, or anything else that reads the path of the SVG directly?
I rawly could imagine to read the SVG as a text file, scan it for the "path" argument, read the subsequent tuples and make them a path object.

The plan B I'm working on is to do it with GIMP, which is a bit tricky because GIMP procedures are only accessible via the gimp-python console as far as I have experienced.

The hard facts:
Python 2.6.5 with IDLE
PIL 1.1.7
on Win XP