[Image-SIG] Desperate GUI Help Please!!

thomas1984 Thomash04 at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Mar 16 11:15:44 CET 2010

Hello,

I need to make a GUI which has a fixed window size approx 390 (width) X 6020
(height)

It needs to have a fileMenu containing "File" "About" "Exit". In the "file"
menu it needs a menuItem called "new route".

When you click on "new route" it needs to display a new window with a
listBox.. When a user selects an item from the list box and clicks OK - it
should pass this value to the original window.

The difficulty here is that the main body of the GUI window, needs to
display an image BUT it needs to be an image that is able to be drawed on.

Below is my code for drawing on the image....... It is an EXAMPLE - but i
need it like this i.e. by importing the ImageDraw library.

# Do the proper imports for this script
from Tkinter import *
import os, sys
import Image
import ImageDraw
# Load the image
try:
im = Image.open("C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\mm.gif")
except:
print "Unable to load image"
exit(1)
# Get a drawing surface for the image
draw = ImageDraw.Draw(im)
# Draw the circle
#draw.ellipse((0,0)+im.size)
# Draw the line
#draw.line((0,0)+im.size)
# and show off the result
draw.line((0, 0) + (0,55), fill=000, width=22)
draw.text((50, 50), "hey")
im.show()

Below is my code for the list box example......

from Tkinter import *
class ListBoxTest :
def __init__(self) :
self.root = Tk()
self.list_box_1 = Listbox(self.root)
self.list_box_1.pack()
self.delete_button = Button(self.root, text="Delete",
command=self.DeleteSelection)
self.delete_button.pack()
def DeleteSelection(self) :
items = self.list_box_1.curselection()
pos = 0
for i in items :
idx = int(i) - pos
self.list_box_1.delete( idx,idx )
pos = pos + 1
def Show(self) :
for i in range(0, 10) :
s = "Item " + str(i)
self.list_box_1.insert( END,s )
self.root.mainloop()
lbt=ListBoxTest()
lbt.Show()

Below is my code for the Canvas and Window BUT the canvas does not hold an
image I have drew on........

from Tkinter import *

class AppUI(Frame):

def __init__(self, master=None):
Frame.__init__(self, master, relief=SUNKEN, bd=2)

self.menubar = Menu(self)

menu = Menu(self.menubar, tearoff=0)
self.menubar.add_cascade(label="File", menu=menu)
menu.add_command(label="New")

menu = Menu(self.menubar, tearoff=0)
self.menubar.add_cascade(label="Edit", menu=menu)
menu.add_command(label="Cut")
menu.add_command(label="Copy")
menu.add_command(label="Paste")

try:
self.master.config(menu=self.menubar)
except AttributeError:
# master is a toplevel window (Python 1.4/Tkinter 1.63)
self.master.tk.call(master, "config", "-menu", self.menubar)

canvas = Canvas(width = 300, height = 200, bg = 'white')
canvas.pack(expand = YES, fill = BOTH)

gif1 = PhotoImage(file = 'mm.gif')
canvas.create_image(50, 10, image = gif1, anchor = NW)
canvas.pack()

root = Tk()

app = AppUI(root)
app.pack()

root.mainloop()

---- Is there anyone here who can put these elements together and maybe make
this GUI for me? I'm really stuck and as you can see by the code examples I
have gave this a shot, but I don't know how to finish it off - If someone
can do this for me - it would be great as I can look at the code and learn.