[Image-SIG] Getting PIL to work on OSX Snow Leopard

Simon Mosk-Aoyama simonsez at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 20:05:14 CEST 2010

Chris,

Thanks so much for the suggestion!

I ran the otool command and noted that the _imaging.so is linked to the
wrong (newer) libjpeg:

simon@/Users/simon/: otool -L PIL/_imaging.so
PIL/_imaging.so:
        /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.8.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current
version 9.1.0)
        /opt/local/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1.2.5)
        /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 125.0.1)

so seems like I may have misconfigured setup.py.

Can anyone confirm this would be the right syntax:

JPEG_ROOT = libinclude("/usr/local")

for linking to:

simon@/Users/simon/: ls -al /usr/local/lib/*jpeg*
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  201336 Jun  4 15:56 /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.a
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel     433 Jun  4 15:56 /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.la

Hmmm I'm noticing I don't have an equivalent libjpeg.dylib for the 6b
version - should I have that, and could that be the cause of the linking
being broken?

thanks!

-Simon