[Image-SIG] Pillow, the "friendly" PIL fork

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 31 16:29:51 CEST 2010

> I have been wanting to tackle this for sometime, and finally got around to
> it tonight. I've created a "friendly" fork of PIL called "Pillow":
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Pillow/1.0
>
> Some background: I've been doing Plone development for the past 5 years or
> so, and PIL has always "been an issue". I won't get into what the issues are
> now, but I assume folks know them.

Well, I actually don't know what the "issues" are, but am very
interested in hearing them!

> By "friendly" fork, I mean, I don't wish any ill-will towards the author
> (thank you Fredrik, for such a wonderful package!), and developer community.
> I am just trying to gauge what the reaction to the fork will be, and if any
> progress can be made toward solving "the issues".

It would really be helpful for us if you described what "issues" you
are aiming to solve. Without that I'm not even sure I'd like to spend
too much time evaluating your fork. But if it turns out that you aim
to tackle issues that I also have a problem with, I will surely give
Pillow a try.

Cheers,
Daniel