[Image-SIG] that's enough

Dan Halbert halbert at halwitz.org
Wed Jul 21 02:06:11 CEST 2010

  On 7/20/2010 7:09 PM, Jack Uretsky wrote:
> Hi all-
>     I'm really grateful for all the help, but my question seems to have
> gotten lost.  I was really happy with "show', except that I could not stop
> the display.  Is it in fact true that there is no way to stop a 'show"
> display of an image in order to do a subsequent 'show' display of a
> different image?
>         Regards,
>             Jack
show() is meant for very casual "manual" viewing  of images, really for
debugging. It just invokes some image display or other, depending on which
platform it's running on.

PIL itself has no other UI stuff built in, as its focus is an image
manipulation library. You need a UI library of some kind. You might try
starting with TkInter. Here are a few elementary examples of displaying images
using TkInter:
http://code.activestate.com/recipes/521918-pil-and-tkinter-to-display-images/
http://www.noah.org/wiki/PIL_Image_show_with_Tk