[Image-SIG] PIL Convert Alpha-transparent image to non-transparent?

Nils de Reus nils.de.reus at ivm.vu.nl
Tue Jul 6 10:52:00 CEST 2010

Dear Chander,

I am intrigued, because at least some of the methods you tried should have worked. Could you make one of these images available for testing? I would be interested to have a look at what is happening.

Best regards,
    Nils

Subject: [Image-SIG] PIL Convert Alpha-transparent image to non-transparent?

I've got an image that has alpha transparency, it has a non-white
background color (that is transparent), and several pixels are
"partially" transparent.  If I take the image and convert it over from
RGBA to RGB, the text in the image looks "blocky".

I've tried the following (all to no avail):

- Iterate over the pixels and find those that are more than 50%
transparent and convert them to white
- Use Paste onto a white background that has no transparency, and then
convert to RGB
- Use Image.blend to attempt to blend with a white background (at
various levels)