[Image-SIG] Python 3 support

Douglas S. Blank dblank at cs.brynmawr.edu
Thu Aug 5 01:24:05 CEST 2010

Apologies if this is an oft-asked question, but I can't find an answer:

What is the status of PIL for Python3?

I see on http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/index.htm:

"A version of 1.1.7 for 3.X will be released later."

That statement I guess means that PIL 1.1.7 is being ported to Python3.
What is the expected time frame? Best guess? I haven't really followed the
development of PIL, so I don't know if this is an open source project
where people can help out, or it is solely dependent on Fredrik.

The last comment from Fredrik was 17 months ago:

On Thu Mar 19 09:31:32 CET 2009 Fredrik Lundh said:

> The plan is to get 1.1.7 out of the door (early april) and then make a
> version of that available for 3.x. There's also a preliminary port of 1.1.6
> available from a third party; see the mailing list archives for pointers.
>
> Cheers /F

I couldn't find a link to this port. If anyone has any details on 1.1.7 or
others for Python3, that would be great.

Thanks!

-Doug