[Image-SIG] Pillow, the "friendly" PIL fork

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Aug 2 04:29:55 CEST 2010

Alex Clark wrote:
> On 8/1/10 3:04 PM, in article 4C55C525.9090809 at noaa.gov, "Christopher
> Barker" <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

>> Is packaging the only "issues" this fork is for?
>
> Yes. In Plone-land we rely a great deal on packages on PyPI.
 > Buildout is a
> tool (which my 'Plone site admin' book covers in great detail, FWIW) we use
> exclusively to build Plone CMS applications.

couldn't you have "recipes" for buildout that does a little extra for
certain packages -- like in this case, remove the PIL.pth file.

Or maybe change the name of the Zope package named "Image", as Fredrik
mentioned, PIL has been around a long time.

But in any case, a fork seems like a lot of work for such a simple conflict!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov