[Image-SIG] 64bit windows OS

Elias Fotinis efotinis at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 19 08:36:34 CEST 2009

From: Bill Mummert
> I missed your previous response. I am using the 64 bit version of Python.
> The Python 64 bit install appeared to complete fully.  I am able to
> execute source code, and I am able to install py2exe.  I have also tried
> using the PIL source kit which is labeled for all OS, but I get hit with
> an error in this attempt when I try to compile the library following the
> instructions in the readme file.
>
> As a side note, I successfully installed 32 bit Python, PIL, and other
> libraries on this same system with complete success.  So I do have a
> working option.  Thank you for your responses.

In my previous post (in case you still can't see it) I provided a 64-bit PIL
version compiled from source:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?20h3zeimnke

I don't blame you for opting to go with Python 32-bit. It still too early
for full transition to 64-bit, at least in Windows-land, where compiling
stuff is not an OS feature.  :o)

As for building PIL x64, if you want full feature support, you have to build
some dependencies as well (zlib, libpng, jpeglib, and freetype). It's a bit
convoluted; if you or anyone else want instructions, I'll post them here.