[Image-SIG] 64bit windows OS

Raphael Walker web at busino.ch
Mon Oct 26 12:58:51 CET 2009

 > As for building PIL x64, if you want full feature support, you have to
 > build
 > some dependencies as well (zlib, libpng, jpeglib, and freetype). It's
 > a bit
 > convoluted; if you or anyone else want instructions, I'll post them
 > here.

Hello Elias,

Please give instructions for building PIL 1.1.6 for win64.

1. I added extensions for png (zlib) and jpeg (jpeg-6b/jpeg-7).

my  setup.py:
TCL_ROOT = None
JPEG_ROOT = 'jpeg-7'
ZLIB_ROOT = 'zlib'
TIFF_ROOT = None
FREETYPE_ROOT = None
LCMS_ROOT = None

2. I build PIL with :

 > python setup.py build

build complete with:
--- JPEG support available
--- ZLIB (PNG/ZIP) support available

3. try selftest
 > python selftest.py

c:\Users\rwalker\devel\building\Imaging-1.1.6>python selftest.py
Failure in example: _info(Image.open("Images/lena.jpg"))
from line #24 of selftest.testimage
Exception raised:
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File ".\doctest.py", line 499, in _run_examples_inner
     exec compile(source, "<string>", "single") in globs
   File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
   File ".\selftest.py", line 22, in _info
     im.load()
   File "PIL\ImageFile.py", line 180, in load
     d = Image._getdecoder(self.mode, d, a, self.decoderconfig)
   File "PIL\Image.py", line 375, in _getdecoder
     raise IOError("decoder %s not available" % decoder_name)
IOError: decoder jpeg not available
1 items had failures:
    1 of  57 in selftest.testimage
***Test Failed*** 1 failures.
*** 1 tests of 57 failed.

4. i search for possible errors/mistakes

the _imaging.pyd has dependencies to zlib.dll. i checked your
_imaging.pyd from your install package and there is no dependency to
zlib.dll.

what did i missed for compiling PIL on win64?

Thanks,
Raphael

believed to be clean.