[Image-SIG] Windows CRT issues with Python 2.6

Farshid Lashkari flashk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 00:10:33 CEST 2009

I just tried the new installer (
http://effbot.org/media/downloads/PIL-1.1.6.win32-py2.6.exe), but the pyd
files still contain embedded manifests. The installer says it was built Oct
1, 2009 with Python 2.6.2, so that should be the latest version.
I took a closer look at the changes made from that bug report. The change
was only made to the PCbuild/pyd.vsprops file, which I don't believe will
affect 3rd party extensions. I see that Koen submitted a patch
for msvc9compiler.py that will strip the runtime from the manifest, but that
doesn't appear to have been committed. So I'm not really sure how 3rd party
extension developers can build pyd files without embedded manifests.