[Image-SIG] Example Code for Displaying Pictures--I'm Stumped

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 26 15:44:52 CET 2009

Thanks. Unfortunately, the fellow that can answer my question left early
yesterday, so I won't know exactly the file's structure until Monday.

Christopher Barker wrote:
> Wayne Watson wrote:
>> I didn't know I could post, attach I guess, here. I'll do that later.
>
>  as long as it's a small file -- it can be much easier to help
>
>> There is one puzzling format difficulty I have with the file that
>> requires some attention. I hope to have that cleared up in the next
>> hour or two. Actually, there's a twist in the format that should be
>> mentioned. The first image (frame) is 640x480, and I'm pretty sure
>> one byte per pixel. However, every other image (frame) after that is
>> 128 pixels square. An auxiliary text file provides where, x and y
>> pixel position, the small image should be pasted to form a complete
>> image with the 640x480 frame.
>
> Maybe it's because I"m more familiar with numpy than PIL, but this is
> how I'd do that (untested, of course...):
>
> import numpy as np
>
> infile = file('filename')
>
> img = np.fromfile(infile, count=640*480, dtype=np.uint8)
>

> for i in range(num_images):
>     do_something
>     small_image = np.fromfile(infile, count=128*128, dtype=np.uint8)
>     img[x:x+128, y:y+128] = small_image
>
> NOTE: np.histogram2d might do what you want for the histogram
>

> I'm sure you can do somethign similar directly with PIL.
>
> -Chris

                   350 350 350 350 350 350 350 350 350 350
                     Make the number famous. See 350.org
            The major event has passed, but keep the number alive.

                    Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>