[Image-SIG] Does PIL support PPM files with 32-bit MaxColor value?

Desiatnik, Zachar zachar.desiatnik at intel.com
Wed Nov 4 21:13:52 CET 2009

Hi,
I'm new PIL user. I wanted utilize it in the PPM image comparison. I found the PIL usable for our needs and wanted to distribute it for our needs. I have the PPM image with 0xFFFF Maxval (maximum color value). The object of the Image class loaded my PPM without any complain.
But after I saved it back on the dick I was surprised that the Maxval of saved image was of 256 (0xFF) value.
I started to debug the load procedure and found that PpmImageFile._open from PpmImagePlugin method just ignores the Maxval parameter.
Q: Do I have some alternative to load and process the PPM image with 32-bit Maxval?

Thank you in advance.
Zachar
Intel Israel (74) Limited