[Image-SIG] remove an image background using PIL

Laura & Edward Cannon cannon.el at gmail.com
Fri May 29 17:03:30 CEST 2009

One way to get rid of a single color background is to get the
background color (look at the upper left pixel) and then compare every
pixel to it. If they are the same, make it transparent, otherwise
leave it be. This obviously only works if nothing in the foreground is
colored the same as the background, but I have had good success with
this sort of method in the pygame world for making sprites.