[Image-SIG] Will 1.1.7 be true-division safe ?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sat May 30 02:23:49 CEST 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 12:50 AM, Christopher Barker
<Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

>> "True division" can also be spelled "float(x) / y", and that spelling
>> works in all Python versions (and is used in plenty of places in PIL).
>
> yes, but he asking for the // operator, which I think is spelled:
>
> math.floor(x / y)
>
> except that that does a float conversion for integer operators.

Or just plain "/" in the context where it's used in PIL.

I still fail to see what a change would buy anyone, given that there
will *never* be a Python 2.X release that doesn't treat "/" the way
it's treated in today's 2.X.  It's not like you cannot use "//" in
your own code...

(Is the problem here that people think that the -Q option should be
used for anything other than 3.X compatibility testing?  Writing code
for 2.X that depends on -Qnew is not the right thing do to; please use
the "from __future__ import division" module-level pragma instead.)