[Image-SIG] Reading title EXIF data

Luke Hutscal luke at liftinteractive.com
Fri May 22 20:19:18 CEST 2009

Hello, all.

I am currently working on a Django application that stores photos as users
upload them.

One of the cooler features that we'd like to add is automatic EXIF reading -
so instead of users having to go through and update their photo's
information again after uploading them, the EXIF data on the uploaded photos
can get automatically read into certain fields - title, caption, and so on.

I have been using the Image._getexif() method to retrieve the EXIF data for
the photos that are being uploaded - but it seems that the "title" attribute
is missing. Here's an example of what _getexif() returns:

http://liftslice3.com/getexif.txt

However, when I run ExifTool(http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/)
on the image with the -d flag, this is what is output:

http://liftslice3.com/exiftool.txt

As you can see, there's definitely a title attribute present on the image in
question. I took a look at the EXIF tags list at
http://www.element-it.com/StandardImageTags.ASPX, and noticed that the
ImageTitle EXIF tag isn't present in PIL's ExifTags.py - is there a reason
for this? I tried adding a key for 0x0320 with the value "ImageTitle" to the
TAGS dict, but PIL still doesn't seem to be reading the ImageTitle attribute
out of my images.

Is there something I've missed that is keeping PIL from reading the title
attribute?

Thanks,

Luke