[Image-SIG] Using PIL to merge postscript generated text and png files

Chris Adams chris at stemcel.co.uk
Wed Mar 4 14:06:12 CET 2009

Hi there,

I'm trying to programatically generate text onto an existing png file
as part of a very simple online tool for an NGO, and I'm looking at
using PIL to do this.

Blank badge:
http://test.stemcel.co.uk/clients/org/org-widget/blank_badge/

The copy  would be pasted in goes here:
http://test.stemcel.co.uk/clients/org/org-widget/blank_badge/posted_copy_badge.png

And the rollover state would be generated as well here:
http://test.stemcel.co.uk/clients/org/org-widget/blank_badge/posted_copy_badge_rollover.png

However, the issue here is that I'm trying to do this with a
Postscript font (not a Truetype .ttf one), which needs the PSDraw
class, rather than the basic ImageFont class, and I was under the
impression that it was designed for printing rather than output for
the screen.

I'm used to using GUI apps for design related work like this or
writing html and css on the front end of websites, and I'm very new to
python, but I naively assumed that doing this would be simple, and
it's proving not to be the case so far.

What's the best way to try doing what I'm doing?

--
---
I'm currently only checking my email at 9am, midday and at 4pm.

email: chris at stemcel.co.uk
web:  www.stemcel.co.uk
twitter:chris_d_adams
skype: chris.d.adams