[Image-SIG] Workarounds for MemoryErrors

Gregor Kopka gregor at kopka.net
Tue Jun 23 09:34:27 CEST 2009

Hello,

to process a ~ 25GB (uncompressed image data) you are afaik out of luck
with PIL.
Only chance would be to use a fairly recent 64 bit OS with 64 bit python
binaries (some custom patches /might/ be needed though) and give it a
hefty amount of swapspace (at least eight times main memory) to fit the
image into virtual memory, but then you would wait for the disk for
hours (at best) or - depending on the operations you want to perform -
way longer.

The question of how to open the resulting image also arises...

Since you didn't give any details on what you need as output format, or
the operations you want to perform on the image while in memory (or
whereever it might be at that point) it's hard to give any better clues.

Regards,

Gregor