[Image-SIG] Reading title EXIF data

Franz Buchinger fbuchinger at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 14:12:34 CEST 2009

PIL is an excellent image processing library, but unfortunatly not a tool of
choice when you want to deal with EXIF data seriously.

It only extracts a subset of the EXIF-Data contained in an image, for a more
complete library you may want to check pyexiv2 (python wrapper for exiv2).

And beware, EXIF (as well as other metadata standards like IPTC) is full of
"dead tags" that are only written by some exotic image processing
applications or camera models.

In your special case ("finding a title for a photo"), I'd resort to
IPTC:Caption - this is where Photoshop/Lightroom/Google Picasa and many
other image processing apps store "title" information.

Franz