[Image-SIG] Regarding ImageFont and font style

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Jul 9 12:53:41 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Tejovathi P<tejovathi.p at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am pretty new to PIL.I am trying to create a font
> using  ImageFont.truetype, specifying the font path and size. But if I want
> to specify the font be *bold*, how do I do that?
> Any options other than creating a separate boldfont.ttf???

Bold and italic typefaces are usually separate designs from the
"regular" version, so TrueType/OpenType fonts usually consist of a
number of separate font files.

PIL has no support for synthetic font manipulations (and there's
nothing built in to FreeType either, even if you can simulate some
styles using low-level outline transforms).