[Image-SIG] adding overlay & text to many files

Bernard Rankin berankin99 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 04:42:47 CET 2009

> Phatch has already a text action which has done the hard work already as
> well. Just start from that as a base and hack it to use a csv file as
> input instead of a fixed text. If you have played with python and PIL
> already, it should be not that hard.

Thanks for the help.

I've taken a look at the tutorial and the existing text.py action.

I am new to Python, and have never used PIL, but it does look do-able..

A couple of questions on the existing text action:

1) Is the the "cache" dict  the only recommended way to maintain state between invocations?
2) What is the "values" method of the Action class in the text.py file?
3) What does the "global" statement in the init() method do, and why is it there?
4) What is line 38 trying to do, and why is it in the if clause?

Also, was this file based on the Watermark code?  Many if the code comments would indicate so. (Running out of Ubuntu Intrepid repo)

Where can I find further docs on the plug-in / action  API?

Thank you
:)