[Image-SIG] Problem with rendering accented capitals in text

Charlie Clark charlie at begeistert.org
Mon Jan 5 14:50:53 CET 2009

Hiya,

this is a simple and I would have thought a common problem but I
haven't been able to find it raised elsewhere. Characters such as ÄÖÜ
are all missing their diaresises when rendered as capitals and this is
independent of the typeface used. I've played around a bit and have
not been able to fix it - all the magic seems to happen in the
font.render() method in _imagingft and this is probably dependent upon
Freetype code. But maybe someone out there knows of a workaround?

Thanks very much and a happy new year!

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark