[Image-SIG] Intelligent bracketing

Frédéric frederic.mantegazza at gbiloba.org
Mon Feb 16 14:38:06 CET 2009

Hello,

I'm starting a funny project (at least, part of a project): intelligent
bracketing.

Many DSLR have a auto bracketing mode, where you can automatically shoot
additionnal pictures arround the current exposure. But usually, it is
limited (3 shots, no more than +-2EV), except for high-end DSLR.

Anyway, even with a full auto bracketing mode, it is not always possible to
get the complete dynamic of a scene. And it is especially true when
shooting panoramic pictures, which is my goal, as there are very large
differences between one side to another (shooting a full-spehrical pano
always implies to shoot towards the sun).

The idea of intelligent bracketing is to take a first shot, analyse it, and
take additionnal shots with an exposure bias: each new shot is based on
the result of the previous one. So, we need to analyse the images (mainly
histogram, which is easily done with PIL) to determine the next exposure
bias. This is where I need some help; I'm far from a maths guru ;o)

If you have some papers which can help, or some personnal knowledge, feel
free to contact me, or to give some usefull tips.

Thanks for reading.

PS : about the complete project: it is a panohead control software, to
automatically takes panoramic pictures, using a motorized panohead (in
fact, a low cost astronomic mount). The software is called Papywizard, and
can be found here:

    http://trac.gbiloba.org/papywizard

It is developed with the help of Kolor, a french company selling the famous
Autopano Pro software, but Papywizard is released under a free license.

--
    Frédéric

    http://www.gbiloba.org