[Image-SIG] Build of 1.1.6 fails

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Aug 3 19:26:08 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Salvador
Gutierrez<gutiers at plattsburgh.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1. I have python2.5 in my system but it was not built from source, so
> Python.h does not exist and the compile fails.
>
> 2. I have python3.1 also in my system (this one was built from source), so
> Python.h exists but then the script calls for python2.5 and the compile
> fails.
>
> What shall I do? Can I edit the build script to use 3.1 instead of 2.5, or
> is it better to just copy Python.h to the expected location and use the
> provided script?

You forgot to mention what platform you're using, so I cannot give you
exact details, but most platforms that have prebuilt Python binaries
have special development packages available (usually called
"python-dev" or something similar).

The standard source package doesn't build under 2.5; 3.X is a reworked
version of Python, and hardly any code written for 2.X works out of
the box.  There's no way you can build a 2.5 binary using a header
file for 3.1.