[Image-SIG] Remove Noise from a National Weather Service Radar Image (.gif)

David Berthelot d_berthelot at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 18 20:50:52 CEST 2009

I do some pretty fancy image manipulation at the pixel level too.
What I do is that I use numpy arrays to store images and perform all my math stuff on them.

Example:
import Image
import numpy as N
f = Image.open("image.gif")
g = N.array(N.asarray(f))
print g.shape

for y in xrange(g.shape[0]):
  for x in xrange(g.shape[1]):
     print "pixel",x,y,g[y,x]
     # You can change the pixel value, here I just increment the red channel by one
       if g[y,x,0] < 255:
       g[y,x,0] += 1
f2 = Image.fromarray(N.array(N.clip(g,0,255),'uint8'))
f2.save("new_image.gif")

Hope this helps,
David