[Image-SIG] [AstroPy] numarray pdf 1.5 is broken. Using numdisplay, Python, PIL, and Tkinter (txt version)

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 7 13:12:38 CEST 2009

The simple answer is too many Python irons in the fire right now. PIL,
Tkinter, and some Python apps. When I get stuck on one area, I wait for
a solution, and move to another topic. I've just rotated back to FITS (
and the Pmw toolkit). I'll try DS9 out of curiosity, but I do like do
some ground work first. I'm also trying not to take some mis-steps here.
It's all to easy for people to misunderstand matters, and go off in
unintended directions. Another reason to dive right in is that the app
I'm working on works among its users pretty well, but they may not be
receptive to changes I'm working (to a program I didn't write) if they
have to do too many extras. For example, I do not want to complicate the
install process for them. Virtually none of them is familiar with fits,
although they certainly profit it by it. As another example, I wrote
some simple utilities a few months ago, but no one picked up on them,
since they required Python 2.5. They are stuck on version Pyton 2. 5 of
the program. The sponsor even added new features to the app, but in 2.5,
so there's reluctance even there. When I finish my additions to the app,
I think people will clearly see it has features they need. It'll be in 2.5.

I actually heard of DS9 about 3 weeks ago when my ccdsoft (Bisque
product) that deals with fits as its normal format died. I needed to
look at some files in fits, and someone recommended DS9. I think there's
a web interactive version of it. I finally wrestled ccdsoft back into
operability, and found a simpler way to deal with a fits file in the
interim. I have lots of balls in the air.
Cheers.