[Image-SIG] Announcing my PIL repository

Alexey Borzenkov snaury at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 20:54:50 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Kent Tenney <ktenney at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ah, I found what you are talking about.
>>
>> There is a patch by Lowell Alleman, who posted it to this list on 23
>> February 2007, and it's a pure-python patch. So, no, this was not my
>> patch. :)
> +1 to preserving PngInfo by default.

Why would you want to do so by default? If you want to have text
chunks (or any other chunks) you can use PngInfo yourself:

pnginfo = PngInfo()
pnginfo.add_text("blah", "some value")
pnginfo.add_text("another", "some other value", zip=1)
im.save("filename.png", pnginfo=pnginfo)

Other than that text chunks are currently exposed via im_info
dictionary, which cannot be used for generating tEXt chunks as it is
(this dictionary has other keys that have nothing to do with text
chunks, and any backwards compatible solution would have to either be
guesswork, which is -1 by me, or a separate set/dictionary containing
a set of keys that are text chunks, and maybe a flag whether it was
tEXt or zTXt, which is not ideal either).

In what situations do you find it useful so preserve text tags by default?