[Image-SIG] PIL license question

Tomasz Zieliński tomek at tmreality.com
Wed Oct 29 16:31:18 CET 2008

Hello!

I'm using PIL in my Python-based web server app.
PIL license: http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/license.htm
says, that copyright notice should appear in all
PIL copies, and that both that copyright notice and the permission
notice should appear in supporting documentation.

The copyright notice is:

"The Python Imaging Library is

Copyright (c) 1997-2006 by Secret Labs AB
Copyright (c) 1995-2006 by Fredrik Lundh"

Now, I took a look at source files and most of them have slightely
different
copyright notice, some examples are:

"Copyright (c) 1996-2003 by Fredrik Lundh" only

"Copyright (c) 2004 by Bob Ippolito.
  Copyright (c) 2004 by Secret Labs.
  Copyright (c) 2004 by Fredrik Lundh. "

etc

It's probably ok as this is from original source package,
so if authors put it like that then they know what they're doing,
- but maybe I should put that notice from license text to every source file
to be in full compliance?

Also, I noticed that apt-getted PIL package on Ubuntu doesn't include PIL
license text
(at least I couldn't find it). Should I put one somewhere around?

Currently it's probably not that important, but in case I have
customer for the software, I'd like to not violate any license.

Best regards,
Tomasz Zieliński