[Image-SIG] Resizing Tif's to smaller gifs adds pixels

Guy K. Kloss G.Kloss at massey.ac.nz
Thu Oct 23 06:43:12 CEST 2008

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 7:22:25 am Samuel Mullen wrote:
> I think it may have something to do with the palette or the number of
> colors alotted for the resulting image, but I'm really not a graphics guy.

GIF is an image format than can handle only an indexed colour pallet of 256
colours. So if you image used 8 bit per channel (true colour) you will
experience some quality loss, and the image will look more grainy. Some
software packages are quite good in optimising the pallet and use some
dithering algorithms that make the effects stand out less.

Ever thought of using PNG instead of GIF? It very often works just as well,
and PNG is a much more capable format.

HTH,

Guy

--
Guy K. Kloss
Institute of Information and Mathematical Sciences