[Image-SIG] Using GIMP filters within a Python script

Joao S. O. Bueno gwidion at mpc.com.br
Sat Nov 29 05:52:23 CET 2008

On Saturday 29 November 2008, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> 2008/11/27 Roy H. Han <rhh2109 at columbia.edu>:
> > Is there a way to access the filters available in GIMP to process images
> > within Python?
> > I see that there is a way to write Python-based plugins for GIMP, but I
> > would like to call GIMP filters from Python.

Hi there -
You'd have to write a gimp-plug-in that acts like a "listener" bound to a tcp
socket, http, named pipe or something, and then initiate gimp-actions in it
from an external process.

That is either that or starting gimp with no display, passing a script-fu
command to call the desired plug-in at each use.

(which is what inskcape's xcf import Mathew talks about does)
Fortunatellya GIMP "listener" plug-in isin python is nto a hard thing to do.,
Ihave a nive http implementation of one.

Try and download it from
http://www.pion.com.br/~gwidion/logo_server.zip

best wishes.

	js