[Image-SIG] PIL and target processors and OSX, oh-my!

Jon McKamey jmcKamey at neatreceipts.com
Mon May 12 16:02:55 CEST 2008

Hey all,

I'm trying to get PIL and mod_python to run on apache2 on a Mac running
OSX 10.5  To give some background,  httpd is build with 4 target
processors, so everything loaded by it (mod_python, PIL, etc) has to be
built to handle all 4 target processors.  Including all PIL and it's
libraries. I am to the point where PIL has been rebuilt for the 4 target
processors.   If I run otool on it, I get the list of modules it loads,
and not all of them are built for the 4 processors, some of which appear
to be OS built-in libraries.

So, the point I am stuck at:  It's not clear to me how and what to do to
rebuild those modules, and it's not clear to me if it's even safe to
rebuild and replace those modules with 4 processor versions of the
files.  Has anyone reading this done this before?  Is that safe to do?
If not, what are the risks? And if so, can anyone recommend a toolset to
do the rebuilding?  Macports? Download the source and go? Any other
suggestions or advice on this tricky topic?

Thanks in advance for any and all help. PIL rocks, and I can't wait to
(finally) get it integrated.

- Jon McKamey