[Image-SIG] Please test PIL package on OS-X

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri May 2 18:07:09 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I've been experimenting with building PIL for OS-X in a new way,
providing the dependencies through William Kyngesburye's Unix
Compatability frameworks:

http://www.kyngchaos.com/wiki/software:frameworks

See earlier posts on the MacPython lists for details.

The short version is that the Frameworks provide universal versions of a
bunch of libraries that PIL and other Python packages (Matplotlib, etc)
rely on. They are an easy click install.

The motivation for this is that the dependencies are otherwise very
tricky to build correctly for Universal python builds.

The result is a PIL package that installs easily on PPC an Intel
systems, and can be bundles up with py2app to provide a Universal stand
alone application.

I've built the installer, written a simple test app, and built an app
out of that. They all work on the PPC 10.4 and Intel 10.4 systems I have
to test -- I'd love others to test them as well.

on this ftp site:

ftp://ftp.orr.noaa.gov/public/HMRD/Python

You will find:

SimplePILTest.py : the test script

PILTest.zip: the test application -- it should run with nothing else
installed on any 10.4+ system

PIL-1.1.6-py2.5-macosx10.4.mpkg.zip : The PIL package installer, for
python.org python2.5 framework build. It depends on the following
frameworks:

FreeType_Framework-2.3.5-3.dmg: Freetype
UnixImageIO_Framework-1.0.22a.dmg: various image libs, jpeg, etc.

Please test on your machine, and let me know if they work!

If they do, then we could build versions for Apple's Python 2.5 on OS-X
10.5, and maybe bundle up the Frameworks inside the PIL package
installer for one-click installation.

And do the same thing for Matplotlib, and ???

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov