[Image-SIG] im.show does not show, and Tkinter isn't displaying my jpg image

Stanley Sokolow overbyte at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 16 15:32:40 CET 2008

Yes, Windows Picture Gallery (WPG) is the default viewer for bmp and it did
launch when I ran the test but there was no image, just the message that
there was no file to display.   Vista reports that WPG is the default
program associated with bmp.  WPG does display my test bmp file when I click
on it.

I tried the same test program on my computer running Windows XP, Python 2.5
(not yet updated), and PIL 1.1.6.   It works and displays my jpg and gif
test images as bmp temporary files.  My Vista system is a Pentium D 3.00
GHz, 1GB, with all available updates for Vista through 3/13/2008 installed.
My XP system is a Celeron 2.2 GHz, 512MB, running Windows XP (service pack
2) Home Edition.  I'll update my XP machine to the latest Python release
2.5.2 and try it again to see if it is a bug introduced by the Python
updates rather than by a difference between XP and Vista platforms.

Conclusion:   This is a bug, not something I've done wrong.