[Image-SIG] im.show does not show, and Tkinter isn't displaying my jpg image

Stanley Sokolow overbyte at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 16 14:24:38 CET 2008

I verified that Windows Picture Gallery (the default image viewer set by
Microsoft in my Vista) actually is capable of displaying .bmp files.   It
is.   Apparently no file name was passed to it.   I ran the test program
from Python Shell and left the shell open so temporary files might still be
preserved, but searching for all files with .bmp and today's date reveals
nothing.  No such file exisits.   It seems that PIL did not create an output
file.

I wonder if there's a problem with PIL 1.1.6 or Python 2.5.1 and 2.5.2 (I've
tried both) that prevents PIL from displaying images.   Can anyone confirm
that these versions do work together on Windows Vista and actually do
display jpg or bmp images in a Tkinter GUI or by the .show() method?  I'm
going to try the same test again on a different computer running Windows XP
today.